Picture the scene: you’re on a road trip through the deserts of Western America. You’re driving along and suddenly; you feel a pang of hunger. But you don’t want to eat just fast food. You want something local, fresh, and unique. If you happen to be anywhere near Provo, Utah, there are plenty of options to choose from when it comes to finding amazing food.
Provo is located right on the shores of Utah Lake. Not only is it home to some of the most beautiful sights in the United States, but it also boasts a multitude of diverse restaurants. The diversity of restaurants is due to Utah’s close proximity to Native American reservations, Mexican settlements, and even some influences from India.
1. Black Sheep CafeBlack Sheep Cafe features a mix of Native American-derived food. The family who runs the restaurant does an excellent job of blending local Utah food products like honey and blue cornmeal with Native American staples. A good example of the foods that the Black Sheep Cafe makes is their Navajo tacos. They take common food and add their local goodness and the beautiful food culture of the Navajo, Pueblo, and Hopi tribes.
2. Bombay HouseAnother restaurant that is ushering diversity into Provo is Bombay House, an authentic Indian cuisine house. Not only is their décor spicy with an Indian flair, but so are their menu options. Bombay House offers its guests fresh meat like chicken and lamb with vegetables and irresistible Indian curry sauces. There are also several vegetarian options.
Although you may be in Utah, Bombay House uses the sights and smells of India to transport you to across the world.
3. CommunalIf you’re looking for a more traditional vibe, or you’re just not feeling as adventurous, Provo still offers classic American cuisine. Communal features foods you already love with a unique spin on the traditional restaurant layout. The heart of Communal is in its name: community. The seating in this restaurant, long wooden tables meant to be gathered around, perfectly exhibits the kind of community Communal wants citizens of Provo to revert back to. Rather than sitting alone or in a corner, sitting at a long table facing your group of friends encourages people to enjoy food and company and not just technology.
The menu is prominently farm-to-table, supporting local farms and grocers while producing delicious and wholesome foods. You can order anything from healthier options like grilled salmon to more decadent dishes like buttermilk fried chicken.
4. Cubby’sIf you thought you’d never see a Chicago-style restaurant in Utah, think again! Cubby’s Chicago Beef features unique sandwiches packed full of complementing ingredients. You can’t help but feel right at home when you walk into its cozy atmosphere.
One of its most famous sandwiches is called the Dragonslayer, a stacked-tall sandwich complete with a beef patty, spring mix lettuce, pickles, smoked bacon, and buffalo sauce. This is just a small example of the amazing sandwiches Cubby’s has on their menu.
5. NicolitaliaNo town is truly complete without “the best pizza in town” restaurant. Nicolitalia is known by locals as the pizza favorite in Provo. While pizza is the cornerstone of their menu options, they also offer stellar breadsticks, calzones, and sandwiches. Oh, and authentic Italian cannoli’s.
6. KneadersWhat’s a town without its local breakfast hot spot? That’s exactly what Kneaders is for Provo. Breakfast at Kneaders isn’t just your plain jane breakfast, either. Every morning, Kneaders offers unlimited French toast and pancakes. What it’s famous for though is its perfectly baked bread, made fresh every single day.
Pretty much any meal that had to do with bread, you can probably find it at Kneaders.
7. Molly’sNothing is better than a home-cooked meal, and that’s exactly what’s being served up at Molly’s in Provo. Classic comfort foods like brisket, mashed potatoes, and pulled pork are scattered throughout the extensive menu. You can’t go to Molly’s without getting the hot cheddar biscuits, a famous dish among the Provo locals.
8. Spicy ThaiIf you love Thai food, Spicy Thai is a must-see while you’re in Provo. This restaurant offers ten different variations of curry, many different stir-fry and noodle dishes, and rice dishes. If you come for lunch, you'll find a different Lunch Special Tuesday through Saturday. Main dishes are offered with your choice of chicken, pork, beef, shrimp, or tofu.
Don't miss the Som Tum (papaya salad), the Thai Pho noodle soup, or the Mango Sticky Rice.
9. Waffle LoveFinally, you can’t complete a compilation of restaurants and leave out waffles! The Waffle Love food truck serves up the best waffles in Provo. Whether you’re grabbing a waffle for breakfast or dessert, you won’t be disappointed in the menu.
Some of their sweeter options include ingredients like cookie batter, cinnamon butter and cream cheese, and Nutella. If you have more of a savory craving, Waffle Love’s got you covered. Enjoy a classic chicken and waffles dish, grilled cheese, or chicken and avocado. All on a delicious waffle.
To see all of their menu options or to see where the food truck will be headed next, visit the Waffle Love website.
In Provo, you can find virtually every food preference under the sun. Whether you’re vegan, vegetarian, or you love all foods and are super adventurous, you’re bound to find something to enjoy in Provo.